Trophies

Cup Competitions:

 

The Wynn Cup

This was inaugurated in season 1922. Donors of the cup were Messrs Ledgard and Wynn of Skipton. In 1982 when the competition was 60 years old, the family donated a new cup for the runners up.

James Nelson’s hold the record for most successive victories, five, 1954-1958 inclusive. In fact from 1950 to 1958 they won the trophy seven times and were beaten finalists once.

 

The Cowling Cup

John W Birdsall of Skipton and Henry Birdsall of Cross Hills presented this challenge cup to the Skipton Junior Cricket League in 1903.

By virtue of winning it three times in succession, 1910/11/12, the trophy became the property of Cowling Cricket Club. They offered to return the trophy on certain terms – an offer that was declined by the League. It appears the trophy was in fact used for League purposes as it was awarded at least twice, 1913 and 1920, to League title winners. In 1921 Cowling finally took possession of their trophy. In 1923 they again offered it to the League and this time their offer was accepted and the trophy was used for League purposes.

In 1935, a knockout competition called the Cowling Cup was introduced for second teams. No competition was held from 1941 to 1948. James Nelson’s had the best record for quite awhile, being successful on eight occasions. However during the nineties Embsay took their tally to 11 successes, which included 5 successive wins, 1991-1995.

In season 2000 the final was not played, when it was discovered that Pendle Forest had played an ineligible player in the second round. Time would not permit the early rounds to be replayed.

 

The Alan Bradley Trophy

The Bradley family donated this in 1980. It was in memory of the Chairman who died in office that year. It is presented to the runners up in the Cowling cup.

 

League Trophies

 

Division One

The Roundell Cup

The trophy was donated to the Craven Cricket League in 1921 to replace the Wilberforce Trophy. It was first awarded to the First Division champions in 1922. Bradley were the first winners. It has always been the premier trophy in the League (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

Division Two

The Stanley Barker Trophy

This trophy was purchased in 1973 in memory of Stanley Barker, who passed away suddenly in 1972 when Secretary.

From 1973 to 1975 winners of the League and the winners of the Wynn cup played for the trophy.

In 1976 the trophy was transferred to a cup competition for the old Division Two.

 

Division Three

The phoenix Trophies Trophy

Phoenix Trophies donated this trophy to the League for Season 2004. It will be presented to the champions of the new Division Three.

 

Division Four

The trophy presented to the Division Four champions has had a long history. Initially it was presented to the Skipton and District Cricket League by Mr H W Wilberforce in 1913. This was to replace the trophy won outright by Cowling, and was presented to the First Division champions. From 1921-1934 it was presented to the Second Division winners of the Craven Cricket League. From 1935-1966 it was the Division Two champions who received the trophy. The First Division champions received the trophy from 1967-1978. Since 1979 the Third Division winners have received the trophy, until season 2004, when it will be presented to the Division Four champions (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

Division Five

The trophy now presented to the champions was donated to the League in December 1957 by G B Drayson MP for Skipton. It was first presented to the Second Division champions and from 1979 to the Division Four champions. From season 2004 the trophy will be presented to the Division Five champions (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

Trophies Awarded By League Officials

The following cups were donated to the League, to be awarded by the Officials as stated:

 

The Hargreaves Batting Trophy: – Donated in 1966 by the president of the League. To be awarded for the best batting performance in the League (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The Garbutt Bowling Trophy: – Donated in 1966 by the widow of Rayner Garbutt, who was the Treasurer of the League for 25 years. To be awarded for the best bowling performance in the League (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The Fryers Wicket-Keeping Trophy: – Donated in 1966 by the Chairman of the League. To be awarded for the best overall wicket-keeping performance in the League (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The Norman Smith Merit Trophy: – Donated in 1972 for the most outstanding player under the age of 21 at the end of the season (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The F S Trueman Ball: – Donated at the 1976 Annual Dinner by the former England fast bowler. First awarded in season 1979. Awarded for a fast young bowler, under the age of 21 at the end of the season.

 

The Harold Blackburn Memorial Trophy: – Donated in 1986 by the Blackburn family to be awarded to the most outstanding player under the age of 18 at the end of the season (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The Don Green Memorial Trophy: – Donated in 1987 by the Green family. The trophy is awarded to the runner-up for the Harold Blackburn Trophy (replaced by the League in 2009).

 

The Craven Football Trophy: – Donated in 1988 by the Craven and District Football League to commemorate our League Centenary. It is awarded to the Man of the Match in the Wynn Cup final (replaced by the League in 2011).

 

The Frank Surgener Memorial Trophy: – Donated in 1988 by Skipton C I C C, in memory of Frank Surgener. Initially it was awarded to the ground of the season. It was later transferred to the all rounder of the season in division one.

 

The Derek Granger Memorial Trophy: – A trophy introduced by The Executive Committee in 2014 to be awarded to the all rounder of the season in division two.  Originally called The Chairman’s Trophy and renamed in 2015 after the loss of a popular umpire.

 

The Secretary’s Trophy: – A trophy introduced by The Executive Committee in 2014 to be awarded to the all rounder of the season in division three.

 

The Treasurer’s Trophy: – A trophy introduced by The Executive Committee in 2014 to be awarded to the all rounder of the season in division four.

The Fixture Secretary’s Trophy: – A trophy introduced by The Executive Committee in 2014 to be awarded to the all rounder of the season in division five.

 

The Willis Walker Trophy: – Donated in 1993 by Peter Walker, in memory of his father. The trophy is awarded to the Man of the Match in the Cowling Cup final.

 

The Mewies Fielding Trophy: – Donated in 1999 by the Mewies family, in memory of J P Mewies, former League President. To be awarded for the most catches taken by an outfielder.

 

The Margaret Coe Memorial Trophy: – Donated in 2003 by Trevor Coe in memory of his wife, former League Secretary. To be awarded to the club of the season, decided by adding together the league points for both first and second teams.

 

The Mark Batty Memorial Trophy: – Donated in 2011 by Julie Batty in memory of her husband. To be awarded for the most catches taken by an outfielder, under the age of 18 at the end of the season.